To celebrate the Year of the Dog in 2018, the RAM will release the last set of coins from its highly-regarded Lunar Series. Reflecting many of the original Lunar Series design elements these coins are a stunning representation of this Chinese zodiac sign.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
The Chinese Zodiac, Sheng Xiao, has its basis in a twelve-year cycle. Each year is represented by one of twelve animals with unique personality traits, with these characteristics being passed on to people born in that year. In 2018, the Lunar Year of the Dog will see the births of many people who are said to be faithful, courageous, agile, smart and warm-hearted.
The Chinese Lunar Calendar also rotates through the elements of earth, fire, water, metal and wood as part of a larger 60-year cycle. The earth dogs born this year will also be
communicative, serious, and responsible in work.
At many Chinese celebrations, holidays and special events, monetary gifts are given to wish hope and prosperity to younger people. These offerings are traditionally given in red envelopes, a colour which both symbolises good luck and wards off evil forces.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• The reverse features an artistic representation of a dog surrounded by the original Lunar Series design elements
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Proof coins presented in beautiful presentation cases with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity
• The uncirculated coin is presented in a Chinese-inspired card and housed in an elegant ‘Lai-See/ Hongbao’ envelope
• Australian legal tender coins