Gold plated to represent the golden sun and whales view of the Gold Coast beaches and hinterland, this coin is an inexpensive product which will be cherished by tourists and budget-conscious sport enthusiasts.
This keepsake of the XXI Commonwealth Games celebrates everything that Australia has to share with the world during the eleven days of sport and culture.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Since the first Commonwealth Games in 1930, Australia has had a deep and passionate connection to the event.
As competitors, Australia is one of only six nations to have participated in every Commonwealth Games. At 12 of those Games, Australia took pride of place at the top of the medal tally. Throughout the Games’ history, we are the most successful nation, having won 2218 medals (including 852 gold).
As hosts, Australia is one of nine nations to have the Games take place on its land. Following previous events in Sydney (1938), Perth (1962), Brisbane (1982) and Melbourne (2006), in 2018 we will become the first nation to host the Games five times. The XXI Commonwealth Games will take place on the Gold Coast from 4 - 15 April, with a worldwide audience being invited to uphold the Games’ motto to “Share the Dream”.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Official licensed product serving as a souvenir of the XXI Commonwealth Games
• Uncirculated coin with beautiful gold plating
• Packaged on a presentation card
• Coin’s reverse features an artistic depiction of a Gold Coast beach, with the tail of a whale frolicking in the surf.
• Reverse’s border features pictograms of Commonwealth Games sports
• Obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender