To celebrate the occasion this colourful coin featuring Borobi, the official mascot of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, is sure to appeal to sporting enthusiasts, tourists and kids of all ages.
The XXI Commonwealth Games held on the Gold Coast will be the first time a regional city in Australia has hosted the Games.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
In 1930 the Commonwealth Games ran for the first time in Canada, attracting around four hundred athletes. In 2018, more than eight decades later, the XXI Commonwealth Games will be held in Australia attracting over six thousand athletes. Historically numismatic programs have shone a light on the appetite Australians have for the commemoration of competition at the international level. Coin programs celebrating the Olympics, Commonwealth Games as well as the 2016 Australian Olympic Team are all sought-after items. In partnership with the XXI Commonwealth Games, the Mint happily presents this one dollar coin featuring Australia’s most colourful marsupial and official mascot of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, Borobi. This tree-dwelling native will be appearing frequently in the lead up to the opening ceremony. This coin is the perfect opportunity to collect a memento of this exciting time in Australian sports history.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Coin design introduces the colourful official mascot of the XXI Commonwealth Games, Borobi
• Second release in the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Coin Program
• Official licensed product of the XXI Commonwealth Games
• First 2018 coin to be produced in order to be sold right up until the 2018 Commonwealth Games
• This coin is prepared meticulously to the Royal Australian Mint’s uncirculated standard and features innovative colour print technology
• Obverse features effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II designed by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender