In 2017 the Royal Australian Mint again presents a unique colour printed triangular proof coin inspired by the stunning architecture of the Australian War Memorial’s Hall of Memory.
Showcasing the spectacular stained glass artwork created by Napier Waller, the tireless devotion of service nurses is a universally touching theme many will want to own.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Nurses have played a critical role in Australian military history, tending to the needs of sick and wounded soldiers as well as civilians whose lives have been affected by war and natural disaster. Since the Boer War, Australian military nurses have travelled into theatres of war wherever our soldiers, sailors and airmen have been sent into battle. Often working under arduous and dangerous conditions, Australian military nurses continue to form an indispensable part of our defence forces.
Artist Napier Waller chose to represent an Australian Army Nurse in his iconic stained-glass window in the Hall of Memory at the Australian War Memorial. The window represents the personal quality of devotion to duty in the Australian wartime experience. Often written about in books, portrayed in films and depicted in works of art, Australian military nurses are yet another shining chapter in the history of Australia at war.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Reverse features highly emotive design showcasing the spectacular stained glass artwork created by Napier Waller
• Struck meticulously on a custom triangular blank
• Strictly limited to a mintage of 10 000
• Issued in an attractive presentation case with themed outer packaging
• Certificate of Authenticity
• Obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II designed and sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender