2019 Proof Year Set - 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing
2019 is the 50th anniversary of the historic Apollo 11 mission, when astronauts Neil Armstrong, ‘Buzz’ Aldrin and Michael Collins flew to the Moon, and Armstrong and Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon’s surface. The Mint commemorates this historic event with this striking set of proof coins.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
‘The Eagle has landed’: the Apollo 11 mission completed a goal set by US president John F Kennedy, to send a crewed mission to land on the Moon and return them safely to Earth. The momentous occasion was shared with over 500 million television viewers via the 26-metre antenna at NASA’s Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station near Canberra, ACT.
“The greatest television spectacular of all time” according to flight director Clifford E Charlesworth, was an historic moment of shared human endeavour. Fifty years later, people still recall where they were when they witnessed humans walking on another world.
The tracking station at Honeysuckle Creek is now closed, but the historic antenna can still be seen at the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex at Tidbinbilla.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
· Sets include two unique coins: a 5 cent coin representing the Moon with the Apollo 11 landing site, and a $1 coin representing Earth and the Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station
· The first time that the 5 cent coin has been changed in a year set.
· Packaged in beautiful presentation cases with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity
· Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
· Australian legal tender coins
The passing of the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act empowered the Government to make laws with respect to currency, coinage and legal tender. The Coinage Act 1909 put in place the first steps for an Australian coinage. Thus began the journey towards a mint owned by the Commonwealth and ind...Find Out More
|Year of Issue||2019|
|Mint||Royal Australian Mint|
|Denomination||5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 & $2|