2018 Treasured Australian Stories - Snuggle Pot, Cuddle Pie and the Magic Pudding
The literary icons Snugglepot and Cuddlepie and The Magic Pudding have delighted readers for a century. These uniquely Australian fantasies written and illustrated by May Gibbs and Norman Lindsay are considered classics of Australian literature
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
The Magic Pudding was considered ‘a little bundle of piffle’ by author and artist Norman Lindsay (1879–1969). Written because he believed that children would rather read about ‘food and fighting’ than fairies.
The Magic Pudding proves Lindsay’s theory, with Albert the magical pudding and the hilarious clashes between the ‘Noble Society of Puddin Owners’ and the wicked Puddin’ thieves.
When children’s author, artist and illustrator May Gibbs (1877–1969) published Snugglepot and Cuddlepie in 1918, with its adorable gumnut babies, it was eagerly accepted by delighted readers and has never been out of print since.
Gibbs’ opening inscription reveals her passion for the Australian bush: ‘Humans please be kind to all Bush Creatures and don’t pull flowers up by the roots’.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• The set includes two 2018 Coloured Frosted Uncirculated $1 Coins
• The coins’ reverses feature the beloved characters created by May Gibbs and Norman Lindsay
• Presented in beautiful presentation cases and sleeve
• Coin’s obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender coins