2017 Six Coin Uncirculated & Proof Set - Effigy of an Era - Ian Rank-Broadley Portrait
* 2017 Six Coin Proof Set - Effigy of an Era - Ian Rank-Broadley Portrait
* 2017 Six Coin Uncirculated Set - Effigy of an Era - Ian Rank-Broadley Portrait
One constant among all Australian coins since 1953 has been the likeness of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, appearing on the obverse side of our coin currency. Along with the current standard design 2017 proof and uncirculated coins in this sets, the Royal Australian Mint is proud to offer this prestigious annual collection featuring the portraits of Her Majesty on the packaging which have adorned Australian coins since decimal currency was introduced in 1966.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
While it is not mandatory under Australian currency law to use the obverse design selected for British currency, it has evolved as a traditional practice rooted in our colonial past. Heading into its 19th year of circulation, Ian Rank-Broadley’s effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will equal the run of designer Arnold Machin OBE RA, his effigy of Her Majesty circulated from 1966-1984.
The first effigy of Her Majesty to appear on Australian coins was produced by Mary Gillick, her calm portrayal of Her Majesty in contrast to the prior styles of effigy in use won her support at the Royal Mint, with the effigy being introduced in 1953. See all four effigies of Her Majesty reproduced on the outer packaging of this set.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Produced since 1966 the annual year sets are indispensable in every collection
• Those sets represent a return to the traditional circulating designs in 2017
• Packaged in a striking tribute to the beautiful designs featured on the obverses of Australian coins since decimalisation in1966
The passing of the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act empowered the Government to make laws with respect to currency, coinage and legal tender. The Coinage Act 1909 put in place the first steps for an Australian coinage. Thus began the journey towards a mint owned by the Commonwealth and ind...Find Out More