2017 50c Fine Silver Proof Coin 'Pride and Passion' includes bonus 50c Circulating Coin?
In National Reconciliation Week 2017, the nation celebrates the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum and 25th anniversary of the Mabo decision. Created in collaboration with Boneta-Marie Mabo, an award-winning contemporary artist and Eddie ‘Koiki’ Mabo’s granddaughter, this silver proof coin includes a bonus 50 cent circulating coin.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
In 2017, Australia commemorates the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum and the 25th anniversary of the Mabo decision. Both were landmark achievements for Indigenous Australians and symbolic turning points for Australia.
On 27 May 1967, Australian voters were asked if they wanted to remove two negative statements about Indigenous Australians in our Constitution. Australians voted overwhelmingly to remove the offending passages and for the first time, the federal government had a clear mandate to legislate for Aboriginal Australians no matter where they lived.
Twenty-five years later on 3 June 1992, the High Court of Australia recognised the land rights of the Meriam people, the traditional owners of the Murray Islands in the Torres Strait. Terra nullius was swept away and the decision led to native title legislation the following year.
The Royal Australian Mint acknowledges the Ngunnawal People, traditional custodians of the land on which this coin was minted.
FEATURES & DESIGN
• Designed in collaboration with Boneta-Marie Mabo, an award-winning contemporary artist and Eddie ‘Koiki’ Mabo’s granddaughter
• Includes bonus 50 cent circulating version of same design in a separate card
• Released to coincide with National Reconciliation Week and the anniversary dates
• Reverse design features Eddie Mabo, Torres Strait Island flag, Australian Aboriginal flag and pamphlets stating ‘RIGHT WRONGS WRITE YES for ABORIGINES!’
• Obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II sculpted by Ian Rank- Broadley
• Australia legal tender