2017 50c Coloured Coin - Sir Jack Brabham
The story of three-time Formula One World Champion Sir John ‘Jack’ Brabham AO OBE is one of the brightest chapters in Australian motorsport history. Excelling in a field not known for Australian success, we recognise the achievements of our home grown legend with this dynamic coloured coin design sure to appeal to those inspired by Australian sporting greats.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
In Formula One racing, the feat of engineering and competing in a racecar of one’s own making is likely to never be repeated. Winning the driver’s championship in such a way would today be considered practically unfathomable. The only driver to achieve such a feat is Australia’s own Sir Jack Brabham, winning the Formula One World Championship and Formula One Constructors Championship in 1966.
Brabham’s career evolved from a well-developed mechanical aptitude to driving when a friend convinced him to race one of the vehicles they had created in 1948. Realising his skills in motor racing extended to being behind the wheel, Brabham went on to win the 1948 Australian Speedcar Championship. Winning the Formula One World Championship in 1959, 1960 and 1966 Sir Jack Brabham’s legacy of achievement continues to inspire Australians of all ages.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Coin commemorates the late motor racing icon Sir Jack Brabham
• Reverse design juxtaposes Brabham’s familiar face with his streamlined racecar, complete with colour print
• Product developed in collaboration with Brabham Racing, Sir Jack’s family-run racing legacy
• Struck to the Royal Australian Mint’s high quality uncirculated standard
• Obverse design of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Strictly limited mintage of 30 000
• Australian legal tender
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.