2017 $5 Fine Silver Proof Coin - Queen’s Baton Relay
With the XXI Commonwealth Games being held on Australia’s magnificent Gold Coast, it is only fitting that the Royal Australian Mint recognises the lead-up to Australia’s biggest sporting event of this decade with two stunning coins celebrating the commencement of the Queen’s Baton Relay. Featuring the Gold Coast skyline and extremely low mintages, these coins won’t be on sale for long.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
The Commonwealth Games were first held in 1930, and outside of the Second World War, the event has since taken place every four years. In 2018 the Games return to Australia for only the fifth time. The XXI Commonwealth Games will be held on Australia’s magnificent Gold Coast and attract more athletes than ever before. On 13 March 2017, the Queen’s Baton Relay will leave Buckingham Palace on its year-long journey throughout all nations and territories of the Commonwealth, on its way to the Gold Coast. Travelling for 388 days, the Queen’s Baton will carry a message from The Queen which will be read to the athletes at the opening ceremony on 4 April 2018.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Reverse features a baton relay runner along the Gold Coast skyline surrounded by the 70 flags of the Commonwealth nations participating in the Games
• Mintage of the fine silver proof coin celebrates the year the Games are being held in - 2018
• Licensed products of the Gold Coast 2018 - XXI Commonwealth Game
• Struck to the Royal Australian Mint’s high standards of proof quality
• Obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II
• Presented in capsule with case, these coins are strictly limited to 2018 pieces only
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.