2017 $2 'C' Mintmark Coloured Uncirculated Coin - Lest We Forge
As Australia pauses to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in times of war, the celebrated art of Napier Waller from the Australian War Memorial takes pride of place in colour on this collectible version of the newest circulating coin.
Featuring the ‘C’ for Canberra mintmark, this coin will strike a chord with history buffs, military enthusiasts and the families of those who have served.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Since opening in 1941, the Australian War Memorial has been a celebrated national icon comprising of a museum, an extensive archive of military records and a shrine to those Australians who have served in military conflicts. It welcomes over a million visitors each year to reflect on the service of Australians, fulfilling its mission, ‘to assist Australians to remember, interpret and understand the Australian experience of war and its enduring impact on Australian society.’
The building is characterised by its iconic dome, the roof of the Hall of Memory, which was dedicated in 1959. Inside the dome is adorned by a stunning mosaic created by Napier Waller. Within this artwork black swans, waterlilies, bulrushes, the Southern Cross and a golden chain (linking earth to the spirit realm) all symbolise the journey of the fallen soldiers and their ascent to heaven.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• An artistic depiction of Napier Waller’s mosaic from the Australian War Memorial’s Hall of Memory
• Released to coincide with Anzac Day 2017
• Uncirculated version of the coloured circulating coin
• ‘C’ Mintmark not seen on the circulating edition
• Presented in a folded card with details about the artist and his mosaic
• Obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.