2017 $1 Silver Proof Coin - CENTENARY OF THE TRANS-AUSTRALIAN RAILWAY
After a century of picturesque journeys and connecting the Australian landscape from east to west, the Trans-Australian Railway has been captured in the Royal Australian Mint’s 2017 Mintmark Suite. With a range of uncirculated and proof finishes, coin collectors, history buffs and rail enthusiasts will be ‘all aboard’ for these stunning coins.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Only 100 years ago, the wide brown land of Australia was a spectacular, but impassable, terrain. With 4000 kilometres between the east and west coasts, and some of the driest and hottest land one can encounter, unity across the country was a distant hope.
In the late 1800s, with Australia’s Federation on the horizon, Western Australia Premier Sir John Forrest promised the railway line to the people of his colony, to maintain their enthusiasm about joining the new nation. In October 1917, the 1698 kilometre track was opened, stretching from Kalgoorlie to Port Augusta, and traversing the spectacular but foreboding Nullarbor Plain. In the century that has passed, freight, mail and passengers have all been carried across the Railway line, with journeys ranging from practical and functional to whimsical and extravagant. Upon opening, it united a young country like never before. One hundred years later, it continues to be a celebrated and iconic piece of the Australian story.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• A celebration of the centenary of the iconic Trans-Australian Railway
• Available in multiple finishes, to suit different collector budgets and tastes
• Coins’ reverse features an artistic depiction of a train crossing the Australian landscape on the Railway line
• Silver proof coin includes a ‘C’ mintmark and attractive presentation case
• Coins’ obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Packaging||Encapsulated coin in case|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.