2016 50c CuNi Uncirculated Coin -Australia At War- Malayan Emergency
Remembering the soldiers who served during the Malayan Emergency, this intricately designed coin is part of the official Australia at War program and Anzac Centenary commemorations. This coin will be cherished by military historians, coin collectors and those whose families have served in conflict.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
As Australian troops were committed to Korea, Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) aircraft were sent to assist British forces in Malaya to help suppress a communist insurgency there through aerial bombing and leaflet dropping. Australian ground forces were further committed in 1955 as part of a Far East Strategic Reserve, and remained in Malaya for a further five years. When the Federation of Malaysia was created in 1962, Australian forces returned to the region to safeguard its security against Indonesian incursions. Australia also joined American forces in South Vietnam in 1964 to assist with a growing communist insurgency, conducting an extensive campaign against the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army in the province of Phuoc Tuy until 1972.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• A continuation of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program and the Australia at War series
• Packaged in a presentation card featuring specific subject matter imagery
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint’s uncirculated quality standard
• Coin’s reverse features an artistic representation of soldiers serving in the Malayan Emergency
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender