2016 50c Uncirculated Coin - The Battle of Pozières The Western Front 1916–2016
Inspired by the tumultuous battlefields during the capture of Pozières, this intricate design commemorates the war on the Western Front 100 years on. This coin commemorates the efforts of our soldiers, and celebrates the lives of those that were lost, sure to appeal to military historians, coin collectors and those whose families served in conflict.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Australia’s main contribution to the battle of the Somme in mid-1916 was the capture of Pozières, a small village that commanded the high ground towards Thiepval. After falling to the Australians on 23 July, Pozières was reduced to rubble by a concentrated German bombardment as the fighting continued throughout August at nearby Mouquet Farm. In just six weeks the Australians had suffered a staggering 26 000 casualties. Charles Bean, the Australian official historian, described Pozières as being “more densely sown with Australian sacrifice than any other spot on earth”.
The Australian Imperial Force suffered the loss of more than 45 000 soldiers in the campaigns in France and Belgium, while fighting some of the bravest battles in our history. Follow the trail of remembrance throughout 2016–2018 as the Royal Australian Mint produces a series of coins related to the battles of the Western Front.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Coin’s reverse was skilfully composed from a variety of historic photographs taken during the time of conflict
• Packaged in a presentation card featuring specific subject matter imagery
• Part of the 2016–2018 commemorations for the battles fought on the Western Front
• A continuation of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint high uncirculated quality standard
• Low uncirculated product mintage of only 15 000
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.