2016 20c Frosted Uncirculated Coin - 400th Anniversary of Dirk Hartog’s Landfall
Marking 400 years since Dirk Hartog and the crew of the Eendracht made history as the first recorded European visitors to land on Australian shores, this coin is inspired by the inscribed pewter plate noting their arrival. Symbolic of European- Australian histories, another chapter in the Australia and Dutch East India Company history is told, sure to resonate with history buffs and numismatists alike.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
For centuries before the arrival of Dirk Hartog and his crew at Shark Bay, Australia was beset with mystery and intrigue. While many burgeoning nations were interested in expanding their empires at the time, not least Portugal, Spain and the Netherlands, the name the land was given (Terra Incognita - Unknown Land) spoke of the challenges colonisation would present. Due to the competitive nature of these countries, each chose to pursue the spice trade throughout Asia, as opposed to exploration of this great land mass. Subsequently many sightings and chartings of various parts of the Australian coastline would be kept secret. After being separated from the fleet, Hartog and his crew came across the islands of Shark Bay due in some part to serendipity. The gesture of leaving behind their marker, the inscribed pewter plate, would mean that their place in the history of Australia was assured. This plate was eventually returned to Hartog’s home country, the Netherlands, with a replica left in its place. The original 1616 plate remains on display in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Reverse designs inspired by the original etchings of the Eendracht crew on the flattened pewter plate
• Obverse design features it’s translation to english
• Rare base metal frosted uncirculated finish, accentuating the graphic qualities of the age- old text inscribed on Hartog’s plate
• Packaged in a presentation card, design symbolic of the European-Australian shared histories
• Obverse design of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.