2015 Four Coin Mintmark and Privy Mark Set $1 AlBr Unc Coins - Anzac Centenary
Throughout 2015, visitors to the Royal Australian Mint will be invited to mint their own Anzac Centenary coin on public presses within the gallery. As is tradition, this coin design is also presented in a four coin set that features the ‘C’ for Canberra mintmark coin, along with three other privy mark coins that denote ‘S’ for Sydney, ‘B’ for Brisbane and ‘M’ for Melbourne.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Most of the men recruited into the Australian Imperial Force at the outbreak of the First World War in August 1914, were sent to Egypt, later they’d face the threat which the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) posed to Commonwealth war interests. After four and a half months of training near Cairo, the Australians departed for the Gallipoli peninsula together with troops from New Zealand, Britain and France.
Each year on 25 April, we remember the Australian and New Zealand troops who came ashore on Gallipoli, as part of a wider British effort to seize control of the Turkish peninsula and the Dardanelles. The intention was to knock Turkey out of the war and while not victorious, the battles fought on Gallipoli are among those best remembered of the First World War. Despite initial media reports, the landings on Gallipoli were a relatively quiet affair in comparison to the conflict that lay ahead for our soldiers over the next eight months.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Exquisite and emotive design inspired by soldiers of the Anzac legend and the location in which they earned their nation’s pride.
• Presented in commemorative packaging that compliments the theme of remembrance with emotive imagery.
• The only way to secure the ‘C’ mintmark if unable to visit the Mint in person.
• A yearly must-have edition for base metal coin collectors, the ‘mint your own coin’ has been collected since 1991, with the Australian privy marks starting shortly after in 1993.
• The 2015 mintmark and privy mark series is part of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program, which is devoted to marking 100 years since the birth of the Anzac legend.
• Australian legal tender.
|Mass||9.00 g each|
|Diameter||25.00 mm each|
|Mintmark||‘C’ mintmark ‘S’ privy mark ‘B’ privy mark ‘M’ privy mark|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.