2015 50c Uncirculated Coin - Australia at War - Empire Air Training Scheme
As Australia and New Zealand mark the Anzac Centenary, the Australia at War series continues with the highly anticipated fourth instalment including this 2015 50c Coloured Uncirculated Coin – Empire Air Training Scheme. This coin will be cherished by military historians, coin collectors and those whose families have served in conflict.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
At the outbreak of the Second World War, Britain did not have the manpower to maintain the Royal Air Force (RAF) in the impending war in Europe. A plan was subsequently put forward to form a pool of trained aircrew from all corners of the Commonwealth. Over 37,000 Australian airmen trained in air schools all across the British Empire. Many went on to serve alongside British, Canadian, New Zealand, Rhodesian, and South African aircrews in the RAF’s air war over Europe.
Part of the ongoing Australia at War series, the Empire Air Training Scheme coin design depicts a recruit in training becoming a qualified Airman against the backdrop of the European theatre of war.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Part of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program and the Australia at War Series
• Produced in collaboration with the Australian War Memorial
• Uncirculated coin in a presentation card
• Reverse depicts a recruit in training becoming a qualified Airman against the backdrop of the European theatre of war.
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender