2015 20c Uncirculated Coin - NETBALL WORLD CUP SYDNEY 'S' Counterstamp
To celebrate Australia hosting the Netball World Cup Sydney 2015, a special ‘S’ for Sydney counterstamp coin with the 20c coin design has been produced allowing fans to take home their own piece of the action and a special memento of the games.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
In August 2015, Australia will host the world’s pinnacle netball championship, the 14th Netball World Cup and for the second time, the Netball World Cup will be hosted in Sydney.
Held every four years since the world cup’s inception in 1963, Australia previously hosted the Netball World Cup on two occasions, in Perth in 1967 and in Sydney in 1991. Having been victorious on both occasions, Australia will face the 2015 championships with an advantage to secure their 11th Netball World Cup victory.
The ten day event will showcase the world’s netball elite from 16 countries, all vying for the championship trophy and netball’s greatest honour.
The Mint was onsite from 7 – 16 August for the entire duration of the games, operating at FanFEST, a fun and free entertainment area next to Allphones Arena.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Part of the Official Netball World Cup Sydney 2015 coin program.
• The ‘S’ counterstamp on an existing collectible coin design presents a rare opportunity to purchase this coin with this stamp as it is usually only placed on mintmark or circulating coin designs.
• Reverse features a netball that covers the entire background and an artistic representation of the Netball World Cup trophy.
• The obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley.
• First 20c coin to be counterstamped by the Royal Australian Mint
• Australian legal tender
The passing of the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act empowered the Government to make laws with respect to currency, coinage and legal tender. The Coinage Act 1909 put in place the first steps for an Australian coinage. Thus began the journey towards a mint owned by the Commonwealth and ind...Find Out More