2014 $1 AlBr Colour Printed Coin - Bright Bugs: Leichhardt's Grasshopper
The Bright Bugs series continues with the bold, bright and bewildering Leichhardt’s Grasshopper. This new coin is ideal for people who appreciate the hidden beauty that dwells in our natural world. Kids, nature lovers and those who love something ’a little bit different’ will find it fun, educational and enlightening… in more ways than one.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Hatched in the remote plains of the Northern Territory and Western Australia with dull colouring, the Leichhardt’s Grasshopper might never seem destined to take on the world. However, as it grows and develops a vivid body of brick red, midnight black, orange and royal blue, it soon finds its purpose, its home and its mission. The whole world might still be too much for it to conquer, but it does manage to pounce on a single Pityrodia shrub. It lives in and eats its one host plant for its entire life.
While the grasshopper rules its shrub with no predators to threaten its kingdom, its life is not without challenges. Yearly burning of the scrub land where it is found can leave the creature homeless and foodless. Without the mobility to find a new shrub, it struggles through its final days waiting… and waiting for its host plant to re-sprout.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Frosted uncirculated coin with colour printing
• Fifth coin in a popular six-coin series
• Packaged in a card featuring colour pictures and facts of the Leichhardt’s Grasshopper
• Coin’s reverse features an intricate colour-printed picture of the bug against a background of its plant habitat
• Obverse features Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.