Mob of Boxing Kangaroos
Author: My Collectables Date Posted:22 June 2016
As part of the Royal Australian Mint 2016 Australian Olympic Team Coin Program, the patriotic ‘mob of boxing kangaroos’ will represent in a way we haven’t seen them before. Packaged in a bezel (holding ring) with a ribbon to be worn as a medal.
Support Melissa Breen, Patrick Mills and Thomas Fraser-Holmes on their journey to Rio with these three different cards, sharing their individual stories.
* 2016 $1 AlBr Coloured Uncirculated Coin - Mob of Boxing Kangaroos Athletics Packaging (Melissa Breen)
* 2016 $1 AlBr Coloured Uncirculated Coin - Mob of Boxing Kangaroos Swimming Packaging (Thomas Fraser-Holmes)
* 2016 $1 AlBr Colured Uncirculated Coin - Mob of Boxing Kangaroos Basketball Packaging (Patrick Mills)
PRODUCT RELEASE 4 JULY 2016
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
The image of a red-gloved golden kangaroo on a green background originally became an Australian icon when the Boxing Kangaroo flag was flown as a battle flag on our America’s Cup winning yacht, Australia II, in 1983.
The Boxing Kangaroo quickly became recognisable worldwide as a symbol of the Australian fighting spirit. Today, it remains a powerfully emotive rallying point for Australian sporting pride.
Becoming the official mascot for the Australian Olympic Team in 1993, this image has become familiar to all Australians as the symbol of sport and fair play in schools around the country..
The colourful design is also a playful take on Stuart Devlin’s much-loved 1984 ‘mob of roos’ design that we see today on Australia’s $1 coin.
Olympians and coin program ambassadors basketballer Patty Mills, swimmer Tom Fraser-Holmes and sprinter Melissa Breen feature on the three different packaging cards sharing their stories for the road to Rio.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Part of the official 2016 Australian Olympic Team Coin Program
• Packaged in a bezel (holding ring) with a ribbon to be worn as a medal
• Coin reverse features a mob of boxing kangaroos in striking colour
• Obverse design of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank-Broadley
• The coin’s reverse features a mob of boxing kangaroos in striking colour
• Australian legal tender