2017 50c Uncirculated Coin - Richie Benaud The Voice of Cricket 1930 – 2015
Debuting for Australia in 1952, Richie Benaud OBE would become one of Australia’s great all-rounders. Leading fellow players as captain from 1958 this consistent leg spin bowler and explosive batsman guided the Australian team to the top of the sport until 1964. Now immortalised on this legal tender coin, Benaud’s legacy will endure for centuries to come.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
The early 1950s saw the Australian national cricket team struggle to maintain the heights of the Bradman era. Richie Benaud rallied the players in the second half of the decade with the team again holding position at the sport’s top spot. Before retiring from cricket in 1964 Benaud had already taken steps towards continuing his contributions to the sport, through journalism training with the BBC in the UK and writing his first book. For almost five decades after retirement from the sport, Benaud brought the game to life with his live commentary. He authored several more books on the game and was inducted into sporting halls of fame both at home and abroad. As an Australian inspiration Benaud was revered for his passion and commitment to cricket, his life now proudly commemorated on this uncirculated coin.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• With the release of this coin Richie Benaud joins Sir Donald Bradman as an icon of cricket commemorated on Australian coinage
• Reverse design explores the depth of Richie Benaud’s career in many layers; from being regarding as a legend of the sport to his role commentating as the voice of cricket
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint’s high uncirculated quality standard
• Strictly limited product mintage of 95 929, statistics from Richie’s first class cricket career
• Obverse design of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank Broadley
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.