2016 Six Coin Uncirculated Set: In Come the Dollars - In Come the Cents
On the 50th anniversary of Australia’s conversion to decimal currency, coin collectors and Australians will cherish the opportunity to own this nostalgic set. Featuring newly-minted versions of the six coins Australians began to use in 1966, it will trigger many memories of the changeover from pounds, shillings and pence to dollars and cents.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
A significant day for Australia was 14 February 1966, as this marked Currency Day. After 56 years of using pounds, shillings and pence, the decimal system of dollars and cents entered our pockets, purses and piggy banks. The new coins featured Australia’s unique wildlife which added much to the excitement.
The cartoon character Dollar Bill became the star of the publicity campaign to help people understand the new money and make smooth conversions. Adding to the hysteria, official and unofficial changeover merchandise included books, games, tea towels, glasses, convertors and pop songs by the likes of Slim Dusty and Ian Turpie.
This affordable set is a step back in time and a symbolic record of Australia’s road to decimalisation.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Six coin uncirculated set, replicating the six coins used in Australia in 1966
• Features newly-minted versions of beloved coins, such as the one- and two-cent piece, and the round 50 cent coin
• 50 cent coin struck in 80% silver
• Packaging features a decimal currency conversion table and nostalgic images inspired by 1966 media and trends
• Coins’ obverses feature Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
Denomination 1c 2c 5c 10c 20c 50c
Mass (g) 2.60 5.20 2.83 5.65 11.30 13.28
Diameter (mm) 17.53 21.59 19.41 23.60 28.52 31.51
Metal content Bronze Bronze CuNi CuNi CuNi Ag 80%
Maximum mintage 10 000
Packaging Encapsulated coin in case
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.