2016 50c Uncirculated Colour Printed Coin -Australia at War- Vietnam War
An essential chapter in the history of Australia at war, Vietnam was a protracted conflict on the battlefield, and an unpopular war at home as Australians came to terms with the realities of modern conflict, far removed from the trenches of the world wars previously experienced. As part of the final three coins wrapping up the Australia at War series, this coin will be sought after by coin collectors, war historians and service personnel past and present.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Australia joined American forces in South Vietnam in 1964 following a request from the South Vietnamese government to assist with a growing communist insurgency. The first to arrive were a group of 30 technical and strategic advisers collectively referred to as the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV). The AATTV would gradually swell in numbers periodically until the larger deployment of Australian forces began later in the war.
Australian units conducted an extensive campaign against the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army in the province of Phuoc Tuy until 1972. The Australian war was mainly one of extensive jungle patrolling, but major actions were fought at Long Tan, Fire Support Bases at Coral and Balmoral, Binh Ba and Long Khanh.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Culmination of the Australia at War series, as one of the last three to be released in this 18 coin set
• Part of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program
• Coin’s reverse depicts soldiers and aircraft on the flight deck of a fast troop transport in Vung Tau Harbor
• Packaged in a presentation card featuring specific subject matter imagery
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint’s uncirculated standard
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Finish||Colour Printed Uncirculated|
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.