2016 50c Uncirculated Colour Printed Coin -Australia at War- Gulf War
The Australia at War series has tracked Australia’s military history from over the past 100 years, which is not complete without honoring the legacy of our involvement in the two wars fought in Iraq. Australians have been deployed in the Gulf Wars for over two decades since 1991. As part of the final three coins wrapping up the Australia at War series, this colour printed coin will be sought after by coin collectors, war historians and service personnel past and present.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Australia was one of a number of nations to act against Iraq following its invasion of Kuwait in 1990. While tensions built throughout the latter part of
1990, the war would take shape as a short-lived offensive in the early part of 1991 with coalition forces overwhelming Iraq’s defenses swiftly. After the first Gulf war the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) remained deployed to help enforce sanctions on Iraq in the Persian Gulf. This presence remained mostly peaceful until 2003, when escalating tensions over weapons of mass destruction culminated in a second coalition invasion of Iraq, which Australia was involved in. No weapons were found, but Australian ground forces participated in the overthrow of Saddam Hussein and provided ongoing support to the democratic government until 2009. The RAN continues to serve in the Persian Gulf to this day.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Culmination of the Australia at War series, as one of the last three to be released in this 18 coin set
• Part of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program
• Capturing one of the modern elements of our war history the coin’s reverse features an artistic representation of soldiers advancing down a road across an arid landscape, accompanied by colour printed medal ribbon motifs
• Packaged in a presentation card featuring specific subject matter imagery
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint’s colour printed uncirculated standard
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Finish||Colour Printed Uncirculated|
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.