2016 50c CuNi Uncirculated Coin -Australia At War- Indonesian Confrontation
In recognition of the involvement of our soldiers in the Indonesian Confrontation, this coin has been produced as part of the Australia at War program and Anzac Centenary commemorations. This coin will be cherished by military historians, coin collectors and those whose families have served in conflict.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Initial Australian policy at the outset of hostilities during the Indonesian Confrontation was to observe closely, but to remain largely uninvolved in a conflict that could become protracted. However the political climate in the region was such that both Australia and New Zealand, along with Great Britain had already long committed to the Far East Strategic Reserve. This initiative intended to defend Commonwealth interests in South East Asia against communist incursion, meaning that troops were already in the region. Despite the earlier aversion to involvement, Australian forces were eventually deployed to take on a defensive role within the Malay Peninsula. Ultimately coming under Indonesian attack late in 1964, Australia was drawn further into the conflict. As a proactive response to the attacks on the Malay Peninsula, part of the 3rd Batallion Royal Australian Regiment was later deployed, ahead of hostilities ceasing in 1966.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• A continuation of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program and the Australia at War series
• Packaged in a presentation card featuring specific subject matter imagery
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint’s uncirculated quality standard
• Coin’s reverse features an artistic representation of soldiers serving in the Indonesian Confrontation
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.