2016 $5 Uncirculated Coin - 50th Anniversary of The Battle of Long Tan
As we mark 50 years since the Battle of Long Tan, we remember the soldiers that left the Nui Dat taskforce base on 18 August 1966, unaware of the historic fate that lay before them. Struck as a 38.74 mm crown coin and featuring the cross raised in the Long Tan rubber plantation, this coin will appeal to all Australians touched by conflict.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
While Australian forces were involved in the Vietnam War over several years, it was the middle of 1966 that would see some of the most intense action for our troops. On the morning of 18 August, D Company left the taskforce base at Nui Dat on patrol, unaware of the actions they would undertake which would inspire generations. Here 108 Australian and New Zealand troops fought against more than 2000 North Vietnamese and Viet Cong troops in the rubber plantation of Long Tan. Eighteen Australians died and 24 were wounded in what was the largest action fought by Australian forces during the Vietnam War.
On the third anniversary of the battle a cross was raised in the Long Tan rubber plantation. That day, 18 August, became known as Long Tan Day, to later be known as, Vietnam Veterans Day, and has been observed in Australia ever since.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Continuation of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program
• Coin reverse features a representation of the cross raised in the Long Tan plantation and the scene of the battle. Texture raised on the coin emulates the rainy conditions of the battle.
• Struck on a large 38.74 mm aluminium, zinc and bronze canvas. Exclusive emblem of remembrance for those lost, and recognition for the veterans who survived this protracted conflict
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint high uncirculated quality standard
• Low uncirculated product mintage of only 15 000
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.