2016 $5 Silver Coloured Domed Proof Coin - Northern Sky Cassiopeia
Following the popularity of the Southern Sky Series the Royal Australian Mint is using the same stunning design techniques and superb craftsmanship to pay tribute to the awe-inspiring northern sky constellation. In the first of a three coin series, the beautiful and boastful Queen Cassiopeia’s celestial body is captured, likely to be sough-after by coin collectors and astronomy buffs.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
In Greek mythology, Cassiopeia was the beautiful but boastful queen of Ethiopia. While her beauty could never be questioned, her vanity became her tragic legacy.
The sea god Nereus was the proud father of many lovely nymph-daughters known as Nerieds. When Cassiopeia proclaimed that she and her daughter Andromeda were more beautiful than any of them, she invoked the scorn of the ruling sea god Poseidon. His raging waters would destroy her kingdom unless she was tied to a chair in the sky and Andromeda was sacrificed.
Cassiopeia can still be seen in the northern skies today, with her throne circling the celestial pole and her arm desperately hanging on. As per Poseidon’s wishes, the constellation is sometimes seen upside down, and appears as either an M or W depending on when it is being viewed. After being catalogued in the second century by the Greek astronomer Ptolemy, it is still classed as one of today’s 88 modern constellations.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• The first coin in a three-coin series
• Inspired by the highly-popular Southern Sky series
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint’s proof standard
• One ounce of fine silver
• Featuring the celebrated domed shape of the Royal Australian Mint’s prior series
• Coin’s reverse features a beautiful colour-printed depiction of the Cassiopeia constellation
• Issued in an attractive presentation case with outer box
• Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
• Each coins’ obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Finish||Colour Printed Proof|
|Packaging||Case with outer box|
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.