2016 $5 High Relief Silver Proof Coin Australian Saltwater Crocodiles - Monty
In the fourth year of this annual collaboration between the Royal Australian Mint and Australia Zoo, we introduce Monty, star of the cinema and the Crocoseum. This sharply struck High Relief Silver Proof Coin has a limited mintage of 1500 which is guaranteed to be snapped up.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Known throughout the world, these formidable creatures are the largest reptiles to be found on Earth today. In the darkest and foggiest waters of the tropical, northern Australian climate, they enjoy an aquatic buffet of insects, crustaceans, fish, turtles, birds or any other creature that whets their appetite.
In 1975, a then-three foot crocodile named Monty was captured from the Townsville boat ramp. After being adopted into Australia Zoo’s Crocoseum, he grew not only in size (to an amazing 3.7 metres and 400 kilos), but in celebrity status. As well as being a star attraction to many Zoo visitors, he also starred alongside Steve and Terri Irwin in the 2002 film The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course.
Monty is now the newest star of the special collectible coin series, that continues to amaze everyone who comes to discover the special beauty of these misunderstood creatures.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• The coin and packaging features images of Australia Zoo’s famous crocodile, Monty
• The high relief technique adds depth to the design which highlights the detailed texture of this astounding creature’s skin
• Strictly limited mintage of 1500
• Finished to the Royal Australian Mint’s exacting proof standard in superb fine silver
• Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Packaging||Encapsulated coin in case|
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.