2016 $1 Australian Saltwater Crocodile Frosted Uncirculated Coin - Monty
In the fourth year of this annual collaboration between the Royal Australian Mint and Australia Zoo, we introduce Monty. A star of cinema, the Crocoseum and now coins, he will be ‘snapped up’ by younger collectors, wildlife enthusiasts, souvenir shoppers and those who love the world-famous zoo.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Whether it’s known as the saltwater crocodile, the estuarine crocodile, Indo-Pacific crocodile or crocodylus porosus, the largest reptile found on Earth today is sometimes also the most feared and misunderstood. Many of us grow up with visions of ruthless, cold-blooded creatures lurking in murky waters and preying on any creature that crosses their path. The Australia Zoo family has always seen
another side to them with the Crocoseum providing the opportunity for visitors to discover their beautiful, graceful and playful qualities.
Monty is one of Australia Zoo’s star crocodiles, who has been treated and raised with love since he was captured in 1975. He has been nurtured over the years, and grown to an amazing 3.7 metres and 400 kilograms. As well as being a star attraction to many Zoo visitors, he also starred alongside Steve and Terri Irwin in the 2002 film The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Thefourthcrocodiletobefeaturedintheannual Australian Saltwater Crocodiles series, a proud twelve-year collaboration with Australia Zoo
• Coinandpresentationcardfeatures imagesof Australia Zoo’s famous crocodile, Monty
• Frosteduncirculatedcoin whichuses minting artistry to highlight the overlooked beauty of these creatures
• Limitededition of 5 000
• Struck in superb silver, befitting the grandeur of the almighty crocodile
• Obverse features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australianlegal tender
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.