2015 50c Uncirculated Coin - Australia At War - Crete
The popular Australia at War series continues with this uncirculated coin, paying tribute to the Australian Second World War soldiers who persisted against insurmountable odds at Crete. This coin will be cherished by military historians, coin collectors and those whose families have served in conflict.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
In 1941, during the Second World War, as Australian and Allied troops began withdrawing from Greece, many were relocated to the island of Crete to sustain the Royal Navy’s garrison. While German forces were initially engaged in other battles, they sought to capture the island’s three main airfields, launching an assault on Crete on 20 May.
The island was attacked from above by over 9500 German paratroopers. British, Australian, and New Zealand troops stood in unity alongside the Cretans. While the Allies lacked the weaponry and airspace (the presence in the skies) compared to their attackers, they were ultimately outnumbered. Despite their tireless efforts, the defenders were eventually overwhelmed.
Despite their unified and desperate attempts to hold Crete, this costly action caused the troops to suffer heavily. There were over 7000 casualties and more than 11,000 soldiers taken as prisoners of war, including 5600 Australians.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• A continuation of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program and Australia at War series
• Produced in collaboration with the Australian War Memorial
• Uncirculated coin on a presentation card with historical details about the actions at Crete
• The coloured bars on the card represent the medal ribbons presented in the Second World War
• Reverse design features a vivid depiction of soldiers battling while aircraft and airborne troops attack from above
• Obverse features Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.