2015 50c Uncirculated Coin - Australia at War - El Alamein
The popular Australia at War series continues with this uncirculated coin, paying tribute to the Australians involved in critical actions at El Alamein, which marked the turning point of the Second World War. This coin will be cherished by military historians, coin collectors and those whose families have served in conflict
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
In the early stages of the Second World War, Australian and Allied forces faced an uphill battle against the German and Italian Axis forces. From their North African base, Axis forces sought to seize control of the Suez Canal and the oilfields of the Middle East.
In 1942, the Allies’ fortunes began to change due to two significant actions in the Egyptian town of El Alamein. In July, the Allies prevented Axis troops from advancing on to Alexandria despite facing a heavy offensive. From late October until early November, Australian and Allied forces courageously broke the German and Italian lines, forcing their retreat.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
A continuation of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program and the Australia at War series
• Produced in collaboration with the Australian War Memorial
• A fitting tribute to the bravery of Australian soldiers in this pivotal action of the Second World War
• Uncirculated coin in a presentation card with historical details about the actions at El Alamein
• Reverse design depicts soldiers in action among barbed-wire obstacles
• Obverse features Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.