2015 $10 Gold Proof Coin - Explorers’ First Sightings - Kangaroo Series
The Royal Australian Mint is proud to continue its tradition of coins depicting kangaroos. The third coin in the Kangaroo Series: Explorers First Sightings is based on an original handcoloured engraving, which has been captured with modern minting technology to celebrate the early glimpses of this iconic Australian animal.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Before they captured the hearts of generations of Australians, kangaroos caught the attention of early explorers. These curious creatures were depicted in words and artworks which seem inaccurate today, but are filled with the beauty of these animals capturing people’s imaginations.
Vincent Woodthorpe’s hand-coloured engraving was published in George Barrington’s A Voyage to Botany Bay, where he described kangaroos as, ‘about the size of a common deer, of a dark tan colour… its hind legs are much longer than the fore, and with them they leap and spring forward with amazing rapidity.”
This early sense of wonder about kangaroos and their ongoing legacy as Australian icons is captured on three different coins, which cater for the widest cross-section of Australian coin collectors.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
* Final release in the Kangaroo Series: Explorers First Sightings and a continuation of the 20-year tradition of Kangaroo Series coins
* Numbered certificate of authenticity
* Coin’s reverse features Woodthorpe’s hand-coloured engraving as featured in A Voyage to Botany Bay
* Obverse features Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley; Reverse designer Royal Australian Mint
* Australian legal tender
* This design is also available as a $1 silver frosted uncirculated coin and a $1 silver proof coin.
* Packaging: Outer box and certificate
|Manufacturer||Royal Australian Mint|
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.