2014 50c Uncirculated Coin Australia at War - Flying Corps
The story of the Australian Flying Corps (AFC) is a testimony to the drive and resourcefulness of a young nation, showcasing its talent to the world. Officers of the AFC are depicted on this 50c Uncirculated Coin, along with an early combat aircraft in commemoration of the industrious pilots and their invaluable support to Australia’s First World War allies.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
The AFC was established in 1911, allowing Australia the distinction of being the only British dominion to have a flying corps in the First World War. From modest beginnings, it formed the foundation of the Royal Australian Air Force, ensuring the role of aircraft in future military operations.
During the Mesopotamian campaign in 1915, the AFC answered the call for resources, supplying four officers and 41 men in support of the Anglo-Indian forces whowere battling a Turkish threat around the Persian Gulf.
The brave men of the AFC were from many backgrounds and left a diverse legacy. Former school teacher Frank McNamara became the AFC’s only Victoria Crossrecipient and Sir Lawrence James Wackatt, ’Father of the Australian aircraft industry,’ was knighted for his services. Two officers, Hudson Fysh and Paul McGinness, purchased an Avro aircraft laying the foundations for the Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service, better known today as Qantas.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Part of the Royal Australian Mint’s Official Anzac Centenary Coin Program and Australia at War Series
• Detailed artistry and dimensional engraving utilised as a heartfelt tribute to the Australian Flying Corps
• Reverse design inspired by archival imagery held by the Australian War Memorial
• Featuring a depiction of AFC personnel and an example of the early, agile aircraft used in battle
• Obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
• Australian legal tender
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.