2014 $2 Uncirculated 'C' Mintmark Coloured Coin - Remembrance Day
After perfecting the craft of producing spectacular colour printed coins in recent years, the Royal Australian Mint is proud to release the nation’s next coloured circulating coin in honour of this special commemoration. This limited edition ‘C’ mintmark version of the coin will be a must-have for collectors and military history enthusiasts alike.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
At 11 am on 11 November 1918, the Armistice was enacted and the combat across the battlefields of the First World War ceased. After four long years of
conflict, the world was again at peace.
Since then, Remembrance Day has held a special meaning in the hearts of Australians and in honour of this the Royal Australian Mint has created a new and memorable commemorative coin.
This poignant design features the rays of light inspired by words from The Ode of Remembrance,
‘ At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.’
The Ode is drawn from the poem For the Fallen, by the English poet Laurence Binyon, published in London in The Winnowing Fan: Poems of the Great War in 1914. This verse, which became The Ode for the Returned and Services League, has been used in association with commemorative services in Australia since 1921.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• Innovative coloured coin features
• Special ‘C’ mintmark
• Low mintage
• Third coloured circulating coins produced by the Royal Australian Mint
• The centrally-sculpted design element features a dove in full flight carrying an olive branch –both recognised symbols of peace
• The symbolic design was also inspired by the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces’ original ‘Rising Sun’
• The distinctive shape of the rays that appear on the ‘Rising Sun Badge,’ worn on the upturned brim of a slouch hat, is commonly identified with the Spirit of Anzac
|Brand||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.