2014 $10 Cu Antique Coin - For Valour: The Victoria Cross for Australia
Befitting the beauty and prestige of Australia’s highest military honour, this exquisite 57 mm antique finish coin boasts the technical minting innovation of micro text. It will truly educate and inspire coin collectors, servicemen and women, military historians and those who honour our nation’s bravest.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE
Fear. Bravery. Valour. Courage. Commitment. National pride. Since 1856, the Victoria Cross has been bestowed upon those members of the British and Commonwealth forces who, in the face of the enemy, exhibit these traits to the fullest. As a true testimony to highest military
honour, only 100 Australians have been awarded the medal throughout its history.
These fine men, who represent all who have served, are honoured on this coin. The first Australian recipient, Major General Sir Neville Reginald Howse VC KCB
KCMG, was honoured for rescuing a wounded man under fire in the Boer War. He leads a proud and noble line of honourees, which was joined on 13 February 2014 by the most recent recipient, Corporal Cameron Baird VC MG. Corporal Baird was posthumously honoured for making the ultimate sacrifice as a member of the Australian Special Operations Task Group, which was facing a Taliban stronghold in Afghanistan. In paying tribute to him, Prime Minister Tony Abbott stated, “You have lost a son, a brother, an uncle ... Our country has lost a citizen, a soldier, a hero. We are all the poorer for his passing but the richer for his living.
FEATURES AND DESIGN
• 57 mm copper antique finish
• Limited Victoria Cross engraving
• Micro text
• Display case with outer box
• Packaging features the Australian War Memorial’s First World War centenary logo
• Certificate of authenticity
• Reflects the themes and sentiments many Australians are commemorating during the centenary of ANZAC service
• Coin’s reverse features the design of the Victoria Cross medal and the names of its 100 recipients
• Obverse features Queen Elizabeth II effigy sculpted by Ian Rank-Broadley
|Manufacturer||Royal Australian Mint|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other My Collectables users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.